amd64 and wine support in FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE

Joe Fenton jlfenton at npgcable.com
Sat Feb 5 16:22:16 PST 2005

David O'Brien wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 01:41:36AM -0600, Nick M. Lozinsky wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>On my 64bit AMD laptop, using FreeBSD 5.3 Stable, I an unable to make
>>install wine from ports. Looking through the Makefile, I find that it
>>only support i386 architectures. Ho can I make it even with i386
>>support under amd64, or, is it even possible to make it on amd64?
>

> Wine isn't supported on amd64 (neither on Linux/AMD64 also).  The AMD64
> ISA does not support the functionality Wine uses.

Maybe not as 64-bit, but Linux/AMD64 certainly runs 32-bit
WINE just fine. I use it all the time in Fedora Core 3 AMD64.
It's really fast on a 64-bit OS. I play American McGee's
Alice in WINE - it's better than playing it in XP Pro. :)

So I would say it should be possible for FreeBSD AMD64 to
run 32-bit WINE as well.