Performance issue

ManuelStühn freebsdnewbie at freenet.de
Sat Feb 5 03:51:12 PST 2005

Hi
I'm a bit confused about the performance difference between FreeBSD-amd64 and
FreeBSD-i386. On my machine runs FreeBSD-STABLE-amd64 and FreeBSD-STABLE-i386
built from the same source (4.Feb 2005). Kernel-config and installed ports of
both installations are (nearly) identical. No Ports were installed before
upgrading to STABLE. Now, on both installations  xorg-6.8.1, XFCE4.2,
firefox-1.0 and gvim-gtk2 are installed.

When my box is running in amd64-Mode, the letters of a document edited in
gvim-gtk2 need about a second to appear again after a alt-tab-switch to
gvim. The system-load grows up to 20-60% until the whole document is visible
again.  The same effect occurs, if i alt-tab to another gtk-2 based editor e.g.
leafpad, but not, when using a gtk1-based editor (gvim-gtk1 for example).

On the i386-installaition i can't see this phenomenon. The ports/system are
built with the same CFLAGS (-O -pipe) and identical configurations in
/etc/make.conf.

Any hints?

Manuel

--
Aus Murphy's Gesetze:
Bei einem senkrechten Balkendiagramm werden die Bezeichnungen immer zu