amd64 and wine

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Fri Feb 4 22:14:35 PST 2005

On Friday 04 February 2005 03:51 am, Nick Lozinsky wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Running FreeBSD5.3-STABLE on AMD64 3200+; I've attempted to `make
> install' wine from the ports tree, and surprisingle enough, it is
> only able to compile on I386 architectures. I looked through the
> Makefile, and saw the i386 support, only. Does wine have any support
> on amd64, or is it possible to compile on amd64 for backward 32-bit
> compatibility?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry to say that no, it isn't likely in the short term.  Wine
depends on the USER_LDT features to use a custom x86 segmentation table
within a user process.  The amd64 kernel does not have this.  I have
been thinking about how to implement this in a lower-cost way than what
currently happens on the i386 kernel though.
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com