32-bit binary compatibility on 5.3-amd64

Rob Watt rob at hudson-trading.com
Wed Feb 2 07:44:16 PST 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, John Baldwin wrote:

> On Friday 28 January 2005 11:44 pm, Joseph Koshy wrote:
> >
> > Clearly our IA32 emulation needs work.  I've no idea
> > why we don't support a sysarch(I386_{GET,SET}_LDT) operation
> > for IA32 executables.
>
> Because amd64 doesn't have LDTs.  Peter has hacks in place in the dynamic
> 32-bit libraries that amd64 uses to use the different backing methods for
> implementing TLS on amd64, but that stuff wasn't in 5.3.  It might be in
> 5.3-STABLE.

Thanks for your responses. I don't think I want to worry about what
version of STABLE is on all of our machines, and I'm certainly not going
to run 6.x in production any time soon. Statically compiling certain
utilities may be an option, but I think instead that we will run 2
separate build for i386 and amd64 until this is more fully supported.

Does anyone know if full 32-bit support is slated for 3.4?

-
Rob Watt