Tyan TA26, LSI 320-1, and FBSD6.0 Strangeness

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Wed Dec 21 16:33:30 PST 2005

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 23:10:18 -0700
Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:07:52 -0700
> Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net> wrote:
>
> > Hello List:
> >
> > I'm having a tough time w/a Tyan TA26, 320-1 and 6.0-RELEASE that
> > I'm hoping y'all may be able to shed some light on.  I create logical
> > drives and install FBSD just fine.  Then cvsup, buildworld,
> > buildkernel, installkernel.  Upon reboot the system drives (mirror) are
> > in degraded mode and the raid0 drive (swap) is offline.  MegaRAID is
> > unable to rebuild the arrays.  I've called LSI support and they're
> > mystified as well.
>
> [big snippage]
>
> > E) Present Status:
> >
> > Interestingly enough, I am able to FORCE Physical Drive 1 back online
> > and then "Check Consistency".  Presently 21% complete so don't know if
> > it will choke on error on not yet.
>
> Update-
>
> The consistency check did complete w/o any errors and rebooting all
> logical drives are once again in "Optimal" state.  For sake of
> completeness heres the dmesg:

[more snippage]

Yet another follow up on my own post...

Update Redoux:

1) Using the amr driver from 7-CURRENT yields same results.

2) Did some testing playing musical hard drive slots.  IF I do NOT
use slot 1 (# on Tyan Backplane starts w/1) and use the EXACT same raid
config for the mirror usings, e.g. slots 2 & 3, then all works as
normally expected.

So it would seem that Tyan and/or LSI have something Foobarred?  Or
that for some reason FBSD is overwriting directly to disk on slot 1
(i.e. da0) even though it's not technically there?

Bizarre hardware issues.  My raison d'etre...

--
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson

A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?