Tyan alternatives cuz their support totally sucks

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Mon Dec 5 07:12:30 PST 2005

>>>>> "David" == David O'Brien <obrien at freebsd.org> writes:

David> On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 08:13:46AM -0500, Nathan Vidican wrote:
>> Ken Gunderson wrote: >Requirements: >1) Single Opteron should
>> suffice >2) DDR400 ECC supported >3) SATA disk subsystem will
>> suffice 2 drive gmirror conf.  4 drive
David> ..
>> I've always had good experiences with MSI
>> boards/systems... generally well priced/featured and their support
>> is pretty good.

David> MSI's support of Opteron sucks terribly.  They have a strong
David> track record of EOL'ing their Opteron boards by not providing
David> BIOS support when new Opteron come out.  Unless you really need
David> 12 DIMM sockets on a dual-cpu (2 processor sockets) motherboard
David> I would never buy an MSI.

We've just ditched a bunch of Tyan boards for Gigabyte boards.  We
were having no end of crashing with the Tyans... and the Gigabyte
boards have been rock solid with the same software load.

IIRC, we've only got two 246's in them.  Nothing horribly fast.

Dave.