5.3, amd64, k8s pro locked up just now

Tom Shafron phred1975 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 22 19:48:56 PDT 2005

--- Steve Kargl <sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 07:35:47PM -0700, Tom
> Shafron wrote:
> > My 5.3 amd64 just locked up.  Seems to be a
> similar
> > problem to what Vivek has been describing.  The
> config
> > is:
> >
> > Tyan k8s pro (SATA version)
> > 5.3 Release
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^
> This could be your problem (although Scott Long
> fixes
> were for systems with >4 GB memory).
>
> Since the system is lock-up at the moment, you
> may want to take this oportunity to upgrade to
> 5.4 RC2 or newer.

I'm kind of nervous about using 5.4 since it's not
considered a "Release" version yet and I'm planning on
using this for a production machine... that is
assuming I can get it working properly ;)

Is it the general consensus that 5.4 RC2 is more
stable than 5.3 (who cares if 5.3 is "release" if it
locks up right...) and could be used in a production
box?  Or is this a bad idea...?  As of now I'm
definitely not comfortable with using this 5.3 box in
production...

Thanks,

Tom