designing new freebsd server for amd64 arch

Sten Spans sten at blinkenlights.nl
Tue Apr 19 13:43:25 PDT 2005

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Vivek Khera wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2005, at 5:19 AM, David Komanek wrote:
>
>> Now I prefer:
>> Tyan Thunder K8WE, S2895A2NRF
>> 2x AMD Opteron 250 Box
>> Adaptec 2130SLP
>
>> HP DLT 40/80
>> 2x Gb LAN - I plan use the on-board ones
>
> Run away!!! Run away!!! Run from the onboard bge ethernet!  Buy a nice intel
> dual gigabit ethernet card use that.  turn off the bge via the bios.  They
> will lock your system or cause other problems under heavy disk+network load.

K8WE is an nforce4 motherboard, it has nvidia ethernet onboard,
not broadcom.....

It seems to confuse people who haven't noticed the switch
to nforce4 for pci-e support that tyan has made with it's
two latest opteron motherboards.

--
Sten Spans

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."
Leonard Cohen - Anthem