designing new freebsd server for amd64 arch

David Komanek xdavid at lib-eth.natur.cuni.cz
Tue Apr 19 02:19:20 PDT 2005

Hi all,

I am trying to design new machine for FreeBSD running on amd64 platform. I
already read officially supported hardware list as well as many
discussions concerning hardware for FreeBSD. Still I am not quite sure,
what motherboard to choose. I need dual opteron motherboard, which covers
(or can be extended by add-on cards) 2x Gb ethernet networking device and
scsi raid 5. I read that FreeBSD has problems with asus and msi
motherboards, so I decided to use some tyan board. Those with integrated
ZCR Adaptec seem to me to be also problematic. What do you suggest based
on your experience ?

Now I prefer:
Tyan Thunder K8WE, S2895A2NRF
2x AMD Opteron 250 Box
Adaptec 2130SLP
4x Hitachi 3.5" 73.4 GB (SCSI Ultra 320),10 000 rpm
HP DLT 40/80
2x Gb LAN - I plan use the on-board ones

but I am not sure whether
- motherboard's nForce chipsets are well supported on amd64 port of FreeBSD
- I can install directly to RAID 5 behind the Adaptec 2130SLP and boot from it
without the need of installing on a separate SATA drive (or even old ATA ?)
- is it possible to attach the HP DLT drive to the same SCSI controller as the
RAID5-configured disks ?
- how strong power supply should I use for this or similar configuration ? (I
expect at least 500W, but what is your experience)

Maybe you will suggest to use completely another motherboard - I am open to it
too.

Thanks in advance,

   David Komanek
   Charles University in Prague