Recommendations?

Coleman Kane zombyfork at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 23:56:02 PDT 2005

On 4/13/05, Jung-uk Kim <jkim at niksun.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 April 2005 05:08 pm, Michael Haro wrote:
> > I'm planning on building a new server, using the AMD Athlon 64
> > 2800+, and was thinking about trying out the amd64 port of FreeBSD.
> >  I'm having trouble locating a list of supported Socket 754
> > motherboards & chipsets. Does the Asus K8N (nForce3) motherboard
> > work well with FreeBSD?  Do you have any better recommendations for
> > <$100 motherboards?
>
> Stay away from nForce chipsets.  VIA chipset boards are usually okay.
>
> Jung-uk Kim
>
> > Michael

Yeah, I doubly agree.

Stay clear away from nForce boards. You will most likely not get a
solution that works out-of-the-box with them (you'll have to maintain
your own personal patchset). In general, the VIA chipsets work really
well with FreeBSD. I have worked with both of them, along with Jung-uk
Kim. You will save yourself alot of headache if you just get a VIA
board now.

--
coleman