vinum setup

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Wed Apr 13 11:26:34 PDT 2005

Sven Willenberger wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 20:44 +0000, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
>>I just asked this on -questions, but I think I shouldn't have, it's a
>>amd64 question ... I am having a miserable time trying to get vinum
>>working on m y dual opteron system, does anyone know, does vinum work on
>>  amd64?  I can't even include "device vinum" in the config file ...
>>

> afaik, all the vinum has been ported to gvinum ...
>
> /boot/loader.conf
> geom_vinum_load="YES"           # Concatenated/mirror/raid driver
>
> nothing is needed in the kernel/conf file
>
> I have not tried gvinum with amd64 but on the i386 systems there are a
> couple of gotchas I found. After creating the array I find it necessarey
> to gvinum saveconfig or it will not be recognized on reboot. Also some
> of the commands do not work yet. If you are not using gvinum instead of
> vinum, I would start there and see how it goes ...
>
> Sven

Well, yes, there are some hard spots left, but I have it working now.
 From what I could see, going back to Vinum isn't an option.  The only
kernel module that still exists is geom_vinum.ko, and there isn't any
vinum.ko, or anything like that, available.  Seeing as the first thing
that starting vinum does is to complain about the missing vinum kernel
model (and then it exits), using vinum as a backup isn't a great idea.