Dell 2850 sporadically reboots (amd64)

Claus Guttesen kometen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 03:06:23 PDT 2005

> We have a dual CPU Dell 2850 running fresh RELENG_5_4 (amd64). It reboots
> sporadically, a few times per day! It has a rather high load, running php,
> apache & postfix. Is anyone else experiencing any problems with this kind
> of setup?

I have a similar server which is not in production yet. So it hasn't
been tested in a real world environment, but it does not reboot.

> CPUTYPE?=nocona
> is set in /etc/make.conf

Have the same, looks fine.

> $ dmesg
> FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 4 CPUs
>  cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
>  cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1
>  cpu2 (AP): APIC ID:  6
>  cpu3 (AP): APIC ID:  7

You may want to disable HTT since the logical cpu may actually
decrease the overall performance. See 'show stoppers' for the upcoming
5.4 release, there is an issue with 4 cpus and heavy on
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.4R/todo.html.

regards
Claus