unable to install beta6 [amd64] on Dell 2850 with 4 GB RAM,workaround

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Tue Sep 28 16:49:44 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 06:34 am, Lawrence Farr wrote:
> Does the amd64 port have support for em64t then?

It is the same thing.  FreeBSD never used the undocumented AMD-specific
IOMMU, nor 3dnow etc.  We don't do anything that assumes an integrated
memory controller, nor hypertransport, etc.  Aside from one silly bug,
even FreeBSD-5.2 will run on intel cpus.  And 5.2.1 will run on later
intel cpus even without our bug being fixed.

There isn't anything to "support".  Since AMD wouldn't tell me any of
the information about the things unique to the AMD cpus, we don't use
any of them.  That's why we essentially run out of the box on the intel
cpus.

Regarding the 4G of ram thing below..  Several people have tinkered with
the auto-tuning of kernel resources based on physical ram.  On our
kernel, we have a finite limit of kernel private VM and simple scaling
based on physical ram will quickly fill it up.  I'm still not sure that
its good enough.  I'm just kicking myself that I didn't get to try this
on a machine with 32G of ram  that I dont have access to anymore.