Partioning for a FBSD-64 install

Bob Willcox bob at immure.com
Mon Sep 27 09:14:02 PDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 08:55:15AM -0700, Rob wrote:
> 1.  Is it my imagination or is a 64 bit install going to take twice the
> space of a regular 32 bit one?

Not in my experience. Two systems I have here suggest that although the
64-bit binaries are larger, they are no where near double in size.

bob at sidious:pg /usr/bin> uname -a
FreeBSD sidious.austin.ibm.com 5.3-BETA5 FreeBSD 5.3-BETA5 #9: Mon Sep 20 13:15:31 CDT 2004     bob at sidious.austin.ibm.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SIDIOUS  i386
bob at sidious:pg /usr/bin> du
21418   .

bob at qui-gon:p2 /usr/bin> uname -a
FreeBSD qui-gon.immure.com 5.3-BETA5 FreeBSD 5.3-BETA5 #16: Fri Sep 24 14:31:21 CDT 2004     bob at qui-gon.immure.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/QUI-GON  amd64
bob at qui-gon:p2 /usr/bin> du
26972   .

Bob

> 2.  I have seperate SCSI drives, one for XP-64 and one for FreeBSD-64.
> In the past I have used grub to boot between OS's.  If #1 is true
>    then grub will no longer be on  a floppy and will have to become
> bootable CD unless useable in emulation mode.  Is there a grub port for 64?

Well, I know nothing about grub...  :-)

Bob

--
Bob Willcox             Acquaintance, n.:
bob at immure.com            A person whom we know well enough to borrow from,