Java 1.4.x + Tomcat5 + MySQL 4.x on AMD64

Mikhail P. miha at ghuug.org
Wed Oct 13 18:01:18 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 13 October 2004 22:55, Kyle Mott wrote:
> My 2 main concerns here are the stability and speed of Java and the
> speed of MySQL. Currently, I have to enable linuxthreads on 4-STABLE in
> order to get good performance out of MySQL.
>
> Comments?

We have an AMD64 box here, which is being used as a dedicated mysql server for
one large site. Server has the following hardware:
AMD Athlon64 3400+
1.5GB RAM
18GB SCSI drive, spinning at 15k RPM
Adaptec's SCSI controller

That server currently runs FreeBSD 5.3-BETA7-amd64.
MySQL is built from ports and linked against libkse.

Just for comparison -
Before we got that server, we used P4 CPU @ 2.6Ghz, 1GB of RAM and SCSI drive
(10k RPM). Usually load was at 2.5-3 during the peak times.
Now with this AMD64 box, load does not go any higher than 0.80 during the peak
times.

I can't comment on SMP-enabled Opterons, but AFAIK, libkse is broken there,
and mysql won't utilize both CPUs..

regards,
M.