amd64 on Asus K8V SE Deluxe

Alex D'Elia acme at enemy.org
Sun Oct 3 08:29:20 PDT 2004

* Tim Robbins <tjr at freebsd.org> [041003 03:16]:

> On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 12:37:24PM -0700, Sean McNeil wrote:
>
> > If you look in the freebsd-amd64 mailing list archive you will see all
> > kinds of discussion about it.  My kernel is built with 32-bit binary
> > compatibility by adding:
> >
> > options         COMPAT_IA32             # Compatible with i386 binaries
> >
> > and Linux 32-bit with
> >
> > options         COMPAT_LINUX32
> > options         LINPROCFS
> >
> > I do not think these are setup as loadable modules yet, but I might be
> > mistaken.  Loadable modules work great now too, so there is no reason
> > they couldn't be built as modules I should think.
> [...]
>
> The only reason these can't be built usefully as modules on amd64 is that
> Linux emulation depends on COMPAT_43, which is not enabled in GENERIC
> (and shouldn't be). There's work underway to decouple COMPAT_LINUX from
> COMPAT_43, and when that's done, the Linux modules will work fine.
>

> Tim

Hi Tim,

thanks for that, I got it installed now with that options and the COMPAT_43
either, but I am ofcourse keeping on, cause I want to see how the system
goes, and where the problems are, so that for the RELEASE things will be
up and running as needed. And no users' complains :)

so, do you mean is "bad" to enable that option ?
what are the problems I might encounter ?

thanks again,
alex

--
** acme aka Alex D'Elia		--> root.acme.com
** mail:: acme at enemy.org
**