amd64 on Asus K8V SE Deluxe

Alex D'Elia acme at enemy.org
Sat Oct 2 12:23:09 PDT 2004

* Sean McNeil <sean at mcneil.com> [041002 21:10]:

> On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 12:00, Mikhail P. wrote:
> > On Saturday 02 October 2004 18:48, Alex D'Elia wrote:
> > > pcm0: <VIA VT8237> port 0xc800-0xc8ff irq 22 at device 17.5 on pci0
> > > pcm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> > > pcm0: <Analog Devices AD1980 AC97 Codec>
> >
> > That's good.
> >

> > > now one last issue for me, is the Linux compatibility, but I think
> > > that must be a problem, as it seems that the emulation works
> > > only for i386 archs ! mhh !!
> >
> > Yes, that's the issue with linux compatibility on amd64..
> > It seems like you'll be using computer as desktop, so I would suggest that you
> > switch to 32bit mode - it will be still (almost) as fast as in 64bit - and
> > install i386 distribution. That way you will have much less issues with
> > emulation/multimedia.
>
> 32-bit Linux emulation would be all he could use in 32-bit mode anyway.
> Linux32 emulation works great for me and I have no significant issues
> with anything running in 64-bit mode natively either.  The only
> exception being the lack of a Java VM.  This is a well-known limitation
> that will hopefully be addressed when Suns Java 5 comes out with a
> source license in a few more weeks.

exactly..... and actually this was a machine for users and also a machine
for myself ( it was my first machine, which died after years of non stop
running, because of an hardware problem ..... PCs :/ ....tz ! ).
So i wont switch it because it would be no sense for me to get and
amd64 and use it in 32bit mode.

But what's that thing about Linux32 ??
where do I find it ?

Guys, thanks a lot :) so you gonna get a login as soon as it's ready !
    ( if you want, ofcourse ;^)

Greetz
alex

--
** acme aka Alex D'Elia		--> root.acme.com
** mail:: acme at enemy.org
**