boot0 only seeing first two drives?

Henrik W Lund henrik.w.lund at broadpark.no
Fri Nov 12 23:04:28 GMT 2004

Greetings!

I'm having a bit of a pickle with boot0, running amd64 5.3-STABLE on an
Asus K8V mobo. My disks are set up thus:

Secondary master: 20gig Quantum Fireball ATA66 disk - one partition with
Windows XP on it, and boot0.

VIA RAID controller, first drive: 120gig Western Digital SATA150 disk -
one slice with FreeBSD on it and no bootloader.

The BIOS is set up to boot from the Quantum disk (as Windows refuses to
boot unless it finds itself on disk 0x80), this brings up the boot0 boot
manager and I can switch between FreeBSD and Windows just fine.

Now, when I throw a secondary slave into the mix, suddenly the boot0
boot manager no longer "sees" the disk on the RAID controller (the
FreeBSD disk, the most important one), and the CMOS setup doesn't allow
me to bump this disk back up to 0x81.

Does the boot0 boot manager only "see" disks 0x80 and 0x81, or is this
some kind of weirdness?

Thanks!

--
Henrik W Lund