32-bit compatibility

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Wed May 26 16:42:23 PDT 2004

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 11:35:42PM -0000, freebsd-amd64 at davehart.net wrote:

> > On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 11:03:35AM -0400, Luke Beaulieu wrote:
> > > 	I'm currently building a web server that will be setup with
> > > FreeBSD/amd64. It must run Apache with mod_ssl and the Frontpage
> > > extensions module from RTR (http://www.rtr.com).
> > >
> > > 	Can FreeBSD run a 32-bit module (mod_frontpage) and a
> > > 64-bit web server reliably? This server will be in a production
> > > environment so I'd like to be sure. Thanks for any help.
>
> Brooks Davis said:
> > That's not possible.  The ABI of the module (a dynamic
> > library) and the web server are not the same so the module
> > can't be loaded (linked).
>
> It should be possible, if you're willing to maintain an i386 binary
> environment for apache and its modules?  I do not know if that would be
> easier to do on the same amd64 machine, or on a separate i386 freebsd box,
> but it seems within the realm of possibility given amd64 freebsd's ability
> to run i386 freebsd binaries.

It should be possiable to run a 32-bit apache under freebsd-amd64,
though I'm not 100% sure of the current state of i386 support is today
(it's always worked well enough for me to run perforce).  Unless you're
also going to be running other memory hungry services, I'm not sure why
you'd bother though.  The amd64 platform works great as the fastest i386
platform around.

-- Brooks