Why is MySQL nearly twice as fast on Linux/AMD64 Vs. FreeBSD/AMD64?

JG amd64list at jpgsworld.com
Thu May 20 16:44:54 PDT 2004

>Can you describe in more detail the network configuration?  Is it a
>gigabit link?
>
>If so, have you compared just the network performance between FreeBSD
>and Linux on this box, using the host you're running myBench on?  Try
>the netperf port..
>
>A recent posting in -net suggests there may be some network
>performance problems on amd64 (or it could have just been the tester's
>machine).
>(http://lists.FreeBSD.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2004-May/004034.html)
>
>Drew

Drew,

It's only a 100mbit connection.

I can try netperf a little later... but I had to wipe the mandrake install
in order
to do the the i386 FreeBSD install, so I'm temporarily unable to test Linux
anymore.

Anyway I think it's pointing to probably a threading and/or SMP issue, but
I'll definitely
test network performance between the two as well.

- Jeremy