XFree86 vesa and radeon 9600 driver voor AMD64

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Tue May 18 09:53:49 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 18 May 2004 01:26 am, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Was there any particular reason why the vesa is not included in the
> ISO 5.2.1 CD package....

The vesa module uses vm86 or bios calls from the kernel.  Those are not
possible in a 64 bit kernel.

> I have an ATI radeon 9600 video card, and that driver seems to be
> the only one I can get X to work with on amd64....
> Next to the fact that configuration of it, is horribly simple.
> And thus would be a good target to get people quick online with a
> simple XConfig.

I had to use a newer XFree86 that had updated drivers for my radeon
7000.  It wasn't pretty, to say the least.

I currently run this at home:
vendor string:    The XFree86 Project, Inc
vendor release number:    40400000
XFree86 version: 4.4.0

But.. I had to do unspeakable things to it to make it compile.  The
XFree86 folks really truely screwed things up.
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com