WARNING: WRITE_DMA UDMA IRCR error

James R. Van Artsalen james at jrv.org
Sun Mar 28 02:14:34 PST 2004

Markus Schanovsky wrote:

> Mar 26 09:02:25 free kernel: ad4: WARNING - WRITE_DMA UDMA ICRC error
> (retrying request) LBA=118
> 169055
>
> Now I solved the problem with sysctl hw.ata.ata_dma = 0 in my
> /boot/loader.conf - there are no write errors further.
> But what's the disadvantage of turning ata_dma off?
> Speed?

I have never seen that error.  What disk controller are you using?  Do
you get that error with any other disk controller?  Try different sATA
cables?

Boot into single-user mode and do a manual "fsck /usr" and make sure the
disk is really OK after make buildworld.

Turning off DMA will slow down disk transfers and increase CPU.  Worse,
it probably doesn't really fix the problem but rather hides it.