Anyone use nullfs or unionfs ?

Bill Squire billsf at curacao.n2it.nl
Thu Mar 25 10:39:12 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 07:44:48PM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 08:07:00PM +0100, Bill Squire wrote:
> > Nullfs works fine on the high-end amd i386 machines, but is rather 'thrashy'
> > and inefficient on amd64. Is this a hardware bug or is there a patch to make
> > it work?
> > As for unionfs, it would be very nice if it truely worked. It seems to not
> > be able to deal with very large overlays.
>
> Please provide some details.  You've given no motivation to developers to
> go look at something they might now have used before.  HOW does it not
> work?  Do you have logs showing this?  Do you have ERROR MESSAGES showing
> this?  Do you have a BENCHMARK showing this?
>
> --
> -- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)

Things change fast with the amd64 development. Thererfore I will start the
virtual server again and try to get actual information. Sorry the response
was a bit emotional and empty. Regardless, the code and methods I'm using
will be placed on my server at <calyx.nl> for all to see and improve. Actual
problems with amd64 (if still so) will be posted here. In either case I will
announce the availability of this rather unusual adaptation of the FreeBSD
jails here. I would like to see it 'ports' with the production release. It
will work with amd64, but last try was disappointing.

Bill