postgres+amd64

Markus Schanovsky markus at schanovsky.at
Wed Mar 24 10:25:03 PST 2004

Hello!
Who has installed postgres 7.4) an FreeBSD 5.2.1 AMD64?
Compiling the port was OK, but I can not initialize the databases - I
always get an erro-message, concerning the semmni or semmns - variables
(count of semaphores)
I increased them, but no result.
Is there a special trick?

I call on the commandline: su -l pgsql -c initdb

The message I get:
=============================
-bash-2.05b# su -l pgsql -c
initdb

The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "pgsql".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/global... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_clog... ok
creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1...
IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget(key=8, num=17, 03600) failed: No space left on
device

This error does *not* mean that you have run out of disk space.

It occurs when either the system limit for the maximum number of
semaphore sets (SEMMNI), or the system wide maximum number of
semaphores (SEMMNS), would be exceeded.  You need to raise the
respective kernel parameter.  Alternatively, reduce PostgreSQL's
consumption of semaphores by reducing its max_connections parameter
(currently 1).

The PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide contains more information about
configuring your system for PostgreSQL.

initdb failed.
Removing /usr/local/pgsql/data.
======================

There is plenty space on disk.

with best regards
Mark

Markus Schanovsky
Paedagogisches Institut der Stadt Wien                       EDV-Administrator
Burggasse 14-16/214                                     Tel: +43-1/523 62
22/99 222
A-1070 Vienna                                            Fax: +43-1/523 62
22/99 93 200
Austria
email: m.schanovsky at m56ssr.wien.at       priv: markus at schanovsky.at
Website: http://www.pi-wien.at