A different buildworld failure

Adriaan de Groot adridg at sci.kun.nl
Wed Mar 24 00:43:45 PST 2004

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Peter Wemm wrote:
> No, you're missing the point.  Do not put "-fPIC -DPIC" *anywhere*
> in /etc/make.conf.  Do not hack blindly hack ports to compile
> everything with -fPIC (including executables), and yell at anybody else
> who is doing it.

Arr (in the manner of pirates everywhere).

> Fix the problem, rather than just plaster over the top of it.  That
> means finding out why the port is doing this in the first place?  Is it
> just because the author is clueless and accidently forgot that shared
> libraries need to be pic (and got away with it till now on i386).  Or
> they are doing it deliberately with --prefer-non-pic to libtool (and
> got away with it until now).  Or something just went wrong.

Well, here's the particular instance that caused me to take the road to
ruin:

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/mach/CORE/libperl.a(perl.o):
relocation R_X86_64_32S can not be used when making a shared object;
recompile with -fPIC

that's when I was trying to embed a perl interpreter in a C++ .so. Is that
something I should just send-pr and be done with?