JDK on AMD64?

Gabriel Ambuehl gabriel_ambuehl at buz.ch
Mon Mar 22 02:33:26 PST 2004

Hello,
I've been playing with a clients AMD64 machines and god they really
are screaming fast (but quite silent to boot) and I was wondering if
anyone has had some success in building a JDK on them. As far as I can
tell, the Linuxulator doesn't run on them so there's little luck
building it from scratch. However, considering that AMD64 is binary
compatible to IA32, it might be possible to compile the JDK on a
regular IA32 machine and use it to bootstrap the AMD64 version but so
far, I'm having trouble finding the compat module that would allow
such binaries to actually run (they can't find their libs).

I gather there is some unstable compat module around, if that's true,
where can I get it (I don't care just how instable it is, maybe I can
get the JDK to run, maybe not)?

Best regards,
 Gabriel