High volume AMD64 MySQL server -- FreeBSD vs Linux?

James Van Artsdalen james-freebsd-ia64 at jrv.org
Tue Mar 2 20:51:10 PST 2004

How do SQL servers respond to additional memory?

The thing that sets 64-bit FreeBSD apart in my mind is the ability
for a process to have a 16+ GB resident working set if desired.

See if the SQL guys have performance curves for process sizes.

I would not be at all surprised if a single 8 GB Opteron could
outperform a pair of Xeon systems, even if the Xeons had faster CPU
and disk.  If RAM is a powerful influence keep in mind that you
can go to 16 GB without doing anything exotic, using ECC RAM at
< $500 per GB.

PS. I'm aware of Intel systems with > 4 GB RAM.  PAE is a hack and
not at all the same as having the memory in-process.