High volume AMD64 MySQL server -- FreeBSD vs Linux?

JG amd64list at jpgsworld.com
Tue Mar 2 15:59:30 PST 2004

Hello AMD64 development team,

I am a long time FreeBSD user and my current project requires me
to build a stable, high volume MySQL database server.

I know someone who is currently running a very high volume Linux
based dual opteron MySQL server.

I have heard and read bad things about running MySQL on intel based
FreeBSD systems -- espeically those before the 5.x branch. I guess
it had something to do with how threading is performed on FreeBSD
vs on Linux.

Does this threading issue still apply with FreeBSD/AMD64?

Do you think the FreeBSD/AMD64 project is ready to be used as the OS
for a high volume production MySQL server?

If the FreeBSD AMD64 team thinks it is worth it, I would like to offer
to conduct some assisted benchmark tests on the system I have built
(see below) and we can compare them to benchmarks on a AMD64 linux
distribution from someone willing to cooperate on their side (perhaps
Mandrake).

We could let both sides assist in various performance tweaks
(kernel tunings, mysql config settings etc) and you can publish the results
if you would like.

I would much rather run this Opteron server under FreeBSD if it were
as stable and performed as well as the Linux version.

The system I have built consists of:

Tyan S2880UGNR Dual Opteron Motherboard
2 Opteron 240 CPU's
2 gigs (2 1gig modules) of PC2700 Registered ECC DDR memory
LSI Zero Channel Raid Controller (Megaraid 320-0)
4 Fujitsu MAM3184MP U160 Scsi Drives - 15,000rpm 18gb
   - these will be ran as two 2 drive raid 0 channels,
     one for MyISAM tables and the other for InnoDB.

1 80 gig ATA133 or SATA drive for system and logging.

Let me know if this is something anyone there would be interested in doing.