Preliminary support for running 32-bit Linux binaries

Tim Robbins tjr at freebsd.org
Sat Jun 19 08:40:19 GMT 2004

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 01:06:26AM -0700, Sean McNeil wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 00:35, David O'Brien wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 01:32:44PM -0400, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> > > I then installed Acrobat and realplayer8 from
> > > ports (only required tiny patches to the makefile) as well as
> >
> > What were the patches?  We should get them committed so others can use
> > these apps on their AMD64 machines. :-)
>
> I too would like to see these patches committed, but should we wait
> until Tim feels comfortable doing it or should it go in ASAP so we can
> all start playing with it.

I'd be happy to see the ports collection updated, but I gave fairly
detailed instructions on installing Slackware and some useful real-world
applications on the web page so that people could try out my patches without
having to worry about patching ports for the moment.

> By the way, I applied the patch and
> attempted to install linux_base from the ports as
>
> make MACHINE_ARCH=i386 install
>
> Alas, there is something off in the install:
>
> ===>  Installing for linux_base-7.1_7
> ===>   Generating temporary packing list
> ===>  Checking if emulators/linux_base already installed
> kern.fallback_elf_brand: 1 -> 3
> glibc-common-2.2.4-33.i386.rpm
> glibc-2.2.4-33.i386.rpm
> ELF binary type "0" not known.
> execution of glibc-2.2.4-33 script failed, exit status 255

You may need to also set kern.elf32.fallback_brand to 3.

Tim