anybody using net-snmp on AMD64 or other 64bit platforms??

Eirik Oeverby ltning at anduin.net
Sun Jun 13 18:59:15 GMT 2004

Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> Reason I ask, is that it crashes with me at all kinds of places...
>
> I've started looking at the warnings from a regular make.
> And in the process of tryin to fix those there are a lot of places where
> typeconversions are really messed up.
>
> int, size_t, I32, function addresses and pointers are all intermixed.
> And this of course will create all kinds unwanted effects....
>
> Are there any suggestions as to enhance portability this way...
>
> eg. what kind of generic pointer type would one use to make shure
> that pointers are the correct size on both architectures....
>
> Or as a side questions:
>     Are there other snmp-daemons that run on 64bit platforms??

net-snmp won't compile here:
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/mach/CORE/libperl.a(perl.o):
relocation R_X86_64_32S can not be used when making a shared object;
recompile with -fPIC
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/mach/CORE/libperl.a: could not read symbols:
Bad value
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/net-mgmt/net-snmp/work/net-snmp-5.1.1/perl/agent.

If I try net-snmp4, it compiles, but the daemon dies whenever it's
queried (by mrtg, for example).

/Eirik