All my amd64 problems appear to be KSE

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Sat Jun 5 16:33:38 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 09:16, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2004, Daniel Eischen wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 5 Jun 2004, Sean McNeil wrote:
> >

> > > I would have to say that is extremely myopic of you.  Regardless of
> > > whether you trust me or not, it doesn't change what I have reported.
> > > kse is broken in some respect on amd64.
> >
> > What I ask is very reasonable.  You've already used libmap.conf
> > to map libpthread.* to libc_r.  Is it that hard for you to edit
> > the file and try it the other way around?  If you want help, you
> > should be willing to answer very simple questions such as that.
>
> I would also make sure that libkse isn't being used (either
> remove it from your system or use libmap.conf).  I would think
> that trying to use libc_r and libkse together would present
> the same sort of problem as using libpthread and libkse
> together, but just to be sure...

There hasn't been a libkse on my system in a very long time.  Just to
make sure, I have searched the whole computer and it was not found.
Also, I have done the libmap.conf of libc_r:

libc_r.so.5                    libpthread.so.1
libc_r.so                      libpthread.so.1

I can now claim that I am no_one without a doubt.  I got the same
failures as before.

With regards to gnome-specific or if KDE has the same issue, I cannot
answer.  I do not use KDE.  It would appear to be gnome-specific
(gtk-specific?).  Emacs has never given me any problems, but neither has
nautilus, the panel, or a number of other gnome applications.

For the moment, I highly suspect this is a pthread/readline interaction
causing the crashes.

Please let me know what I can do to help here.

Sean