How to convert from i386 to amd64

George Mitchell george at m5p.com
Mon Jul 12 16:44:54 PDT 2004

> I started with an i386 installation on my machine and recompiled for
> amd64.  Here is what I did:
>
> Made a kernel config file from generic one in /sys/amd64/conf. I called
> mine AMD64.
>
> make TARGET_ARCH=amd64 buildworld
> make TARGET_ARCH=amd64 KERNCONF=AMD64 buildkernel
> make TARGET_ARCH=amd64 KERNCONF=AMD64 installkernel
> cp /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 /libexec/ld-elf32.so.1
> reboot into single user mode.
> make TARGET_ARCH=amd64 installworld
>
> This was really a big pain and I'd recommend installing from a CD.

I'm planning to try this install on a Compaq Presario laptop, which is
known to require a kernel patch to keep it from powering off when it
probes the keyboard controller.  Under i386, I built a patched kernel
on another i386 machine and wrote a CD-ROM with the new kernel.  If
I make TARGET_ARC=amd64 in my amd64 kernel build directory and then
put that kernel onto an amd64 install CD-ROM, do you think I will be
able to go from there?

> Best of luck.  I'm very happy with my amd64 system and hope you get
> things setup to your satisfaction.
>
> Sean

Thanks for the good wishes!                               -- George