several messages

Gerald Pfeifer pfeifer at dbai.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Jul 3 13:41:08 PDT 2004

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Sean McNeil wrote:
> This is sort of expected (at least by me).  Support for amd64 is not
> very mature in 3.3 and I've run into several issues with it.  3.4 should
> work a lot better.  Hopefully, 3.4 will be merged into FreeBSD soon.

Thanks for your feedback.  I agree, and thus marked the gcc33 port BROKEN
on amd64:

  Mark BROKEN on amd64.  It looks like the system compiler miscompiles
  this, and most people on this platform will use either the system
  compiler or gcc34 anyways.

There is a very stable variant of GCC 3.3 available on the hammer-branch
in GCC CVS, which got a lot of feeding and caring from David O'Brien and
colleagues plus colleagues of mine (in our respective day jobs), but when
it comes to official GCC releases, it's really 3.4 and later that rock on
amd64.

Gerald
--
Gerald "Jerry"   pfeifer at dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/