K8S Pro/Adaptec 2100S panic

Haapanen, Tom tomh at waterloo.equitrac.com
Fri Jan 23 17:52:57 PST 2004

I just picked up my new server today (Tyan K8S Pro, 2x Opteron 242, 2 GB
DDR, 4x 36 GB SCSI on Adaptec 2100S), and promptly downloaded the
hot-off-the-press 5.2-RELEASE mini CD image.

Things appear to boot at first, but by the time the system gets to the SCSI
RAID, things go bad.  I get (typed by hand, 100% accuracy not guaranteed)

asr0: <Adaptec Caching SCSI RAID> 0xfa000000-0xfbffffff irq 27 at device 3
on pci2
asr0: major=154

fatal trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel mode
cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
[...]
current process = 0 (swapper)
trap number = 9
panic: general protection fault
cpuid = 0
uptime = 1s
Shutting down ACPI
[...]

It looks like the asr driver is definitely not happy.  Can it be made to
work?  And, if not, what is my alternative for a reasonably-priced hardware
RAID adapter?

Tom