trouble with K8T Master2-FAR (dual Opteron)

Will Saxon WillS at housing.ufl.edu
Fri Jan 16 19:59:57 PST 2004

> Hello again,
>
> I wrote,
> Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:36:04 +0900 (JST)
>
> > I'm trying to install FreeBSD/amd64 to dual Opteron machine.
> >
> >   M/B: MSI K8T Master2-FAR
> >   CPU: AMD Opteron 240 x 2
> >   Mem: 512MB x 2 ( in Slot 1 and 3, Single channel)
> >
> > I had some trouble with this installation.
>
> I'm so sorry.
>
> I fogot very important information.
>
> I'm using 5.2-Release.

I have not tried 5.2-RELEASE but with 5.2RC2 on the same motherboard with dual Opteron 244's and the same memory configuration I had the same problem with ACPI causing a kernel panic when using the install CD. I was able to boot with ACPI disabled and then install the system without trouble. After than I was able to compile a new kernel with ACPI and that kernel booted correctly without panicking.

What BIOS revision do you have? Maybe we have different ones. What type of hard drive are you installing to? I am using a Western Digital Raptor connected to the onboard serial ATA, and was installing from CDROM.

The problem I have had is that the bge driver does not initialize the onboard bcm5705 controller. Since I have some other buggy hardware, I am now using a linux distribution for the time being. I noticed that their tg3 driver also does not initialize the controller correctly, while the (vendor supplied?) bcm5700 driver works fine.

-Will