success with GA-K8VNXP but problem with IDE disk

HCoyote hcoyote at ghostar.ath.cx
Sun Jan 11 14:04:40 PST 2004

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 01:47:20AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 11:47:20AM +0900, Nakata Maho wrote:
> > Hm, I know it, but unfortunately, there are no data for
> > Tyan thunder k8w (S2885) and Rioworks HDAMB-WO... anyway,
> > for Rioworks HDAMB-WO,
> >
> > o RIOWORKS HDAMB-WO
> >   http://www.rioworks.co.jp/motherboard/popup/hdamb.html
> >   I found a PDF (though it was written in Japanese).
>
> At work we're pretty sloppy about what random no-name DIMM's we use.
> Only the Shuttle box has been picky.  That said, Micron (MT) / Crucial
> DIMM's are probably the best quality.  Samsung DIMM's also.  These are
> the two brands AMD uses in the development systems it sends out.

Well, for the other internal stuff, we know atleast the following works
on the Tyan 2885.

MFG:              WINTEC
MFG P/N:          35954754L

btw, that PDF that Nakata mentions above is also in english and can be
found at

HDAMA
  http://www.rioworks.com/Download/hdama/manual/HDAMA%20MEMORY%20TEST%20LIST.zip
HDAMB
  http://www.rioworks.com/Download/hdamb/manual/HDAMB%20MEMORY%20TEST%20LIST.zip

It lists the ATP we're using on our HDAMA's.

I'll don't have the info on our Infineon stuff at the moment, but we're using
it on the Celestica 4p's with no problem.  I've also run it on a Rioworks HDAMA.

Buffalo reportedly works on Tyan 2885's *if* you get the right kind.  You'd have to ask
them which is correct, though.  We opted not to use them and stick with
ATP for the Thunder's during our testing.

> I've got a case load of Kingston 1GB ValueRAM in which 1 out of 4 DIMM's
> is bad.

Yeah, we've found memory to be a sticky situation right now.

Travis
(And yes, David, I'm the same Travis that works at AMD in Austin :-)
--
Travis Campbell
hcoyote at ghostar.ath.cx