success with GA-K8VNXP but problem with IDE disk

Gary Jennejohn garyj at jennejohn.org
Thu Jan 8 16:58:13 PST 2004

I just got one of $(SUBJECT) motherboards and it works quite
nicely with FreeBSD (still in 32 bit mode). It uses the K8T800
and VT8237.

The 2 onbard ethernets are ``device re'' (10/100/1000) and ``device vr''
(10/100). To get the 8 USB ports working one needs ``device uhci'' and
``device ehci''.

Firewire is at least recognized at boot time, but I don't have any
devices to test it with.

The onboard sound just works.

ACPICA also works just fine.

I haven't tested the SATA ports or the GigaRAID yet.

One strange thing is that my IDE disk, which worked at UDMA100 with my
old mobo, only runs at UDMA33 with the new mobo. I'm using UDMA100 cables.
I can't force the setting of UDMA100 or UDMA66 using atacontrol. Maybe a
bug in the handling of the VT8237? The disk is all by itself as master on
one channel, although I do have a DVD drive (UDMA33) by itself as master
on the second channel. I have checked the BIOS settings, but there's no
way to force UDMA100 in the BIOS that I can see.

Oh yeah, mbmon seems to show all values except the CPU temperature OK.
The CPU is always shown at 127 degrees celsius.

With 2 TwinMOS Twister PC3200 CL2 256MB DIMMs the motherboard freezes.
I'm currently using 2 old 256MB PC2100 DIMMs in it.

--------
Gary Jennejohn / garyj[at]jennejohn.org gj[at]freebsd.org gj[at]denx.de