freebsd-amd64 Digest, Vol 31, Issue 3

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Thu Jan 8 10:02:18 PST 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 08:53:27PM -0700, Joe Fenton wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 10:43:54PM -0500, Will Saxon wrote:
> >>I downloaded the 5.2-RC2 AMD64 miniinst ISO to try on a MSI K8T800
> >>based dual opteron system today.
>
> >What is the board model number?  I am not aware of any K8T800 based SMP
> >boards.  The only MSI 2P board I know if is the K8D Master MS-9131 which
> >is AMD 8100.
>
> The K8T Master2-FAR (MS-9130) is a K8T800 DP board. The first Opteron
> controlls the memory and the second accesses memory across the HT link.

I found it at the MSI website, its a 4+0 DIMM configuration.

I personally don't like any 4+0 DIMM configuration motherboard -- unless
it is treated as a 1P Opteron 1xy AGP workstation.  I.E. the K8T
Master-FAR.  4+0 SMP configuration has NUMA performance issues that can't
be worked around.  Well, the board still has some merit when used as an
SMP -- the memory latency across 1-hop is still better than today's
Pentium-4 SMP systems.

> but I can't get the damn floppy to mount. /dev/fd0 is there, but when I
> try to mount it, it says that /mnt/floppy doesn't exist.  Maybe someone
> can give me a little hint on this.

/mnt/floppy is a linux'ism.  Please try the UNIX way of just mounting it
on /mnt.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)