AMD64 support in 5.x versions

Jem Matzan techsupport at thejemreport.com
Wed Jan 7 03:02:06 PST 2004

I've tried just about everything AMD64 in terms of operating systems,
and I can say for certain that no one is anywhere near the level of
functionality that their i386 arch is. Even SuSE and RedHat with their
retail box AMD64 distros only offer limited AMD64 functionality. Gentoo
will install but few things will compile properly. I'd consider FreeBSD
and NetBSD further along than Gentoo at this point, except for the fact
that Gentoo can update its source code and FreeBSD can't (without the
special hacked CVSup).
FreeBSD would be a step ahead of everyone else if IA32 binary
compatibility worked.

-Jem

--
Jem Matzan <techsupport at thejemreport.com>