Kernel Compilation issues/5.2-CURRENT/AMD64

Jason Lixfeld jason+lists.freebsd at lixfeld.ca
Sun Feb 22 20:29:29 PST 2004

make buildkernel keeps failing here:

===> accf_data
cc -O -fPIC   -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I-   -include
/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ESHARA/opt_global.h -I. -I@ -I@/../include
-finline-limit=8000 -fno-common  -I/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ESHARA
-mcmodel=kernel -mno-red-zone  -mfpmath=387 -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-mmx
-mno-3dnow  -msoft-float -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -ffreestanding
-Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual
-fformat-extensions -std=c99 -c /usr/src/sys/netinet/accf_data.c
cc1: sorry, unimplemented: code model kernel not supported in PIC mode
cc1: error: code model `kernel' not supported in the 64 bit mode
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules/accf_data.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ESHARA.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

I added in CFLAGS= -O -fPIC to /etc/make.conf.

Here's the diff between my custom kernel and the plain vanilla GENERIC.
  GENERIC compiles fine, but for some reason, there is something missing
from mine that's in GENERIC that's causing it to fail but I have no
idea what.  I thought I checked out NOTES pretty thoroughly but I guess
not.

su-2.05b# diff ESHARA GENERIC
3c3,5
< ident         ESHARA
---
 > ident         GENERIC
 > makeoptions   DEBUG=-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1)
debug symbols
 > makeoptions   NO_MODULES=not_yet
5a8
 > options       INET6                   # IPv6 communications protocols
7a11
 > options       UFS_ACL                 # Support for access control
lists
8a13,17
 > options       MD_ROOT                 # MD is a potential root device
 > options       NFSCLIENT               # Network Filesystem Client
 > options       NFSSERVER               # Network Filesystem Server
 > options       NFS_ROOT                # NFS usable as /, requires
NFSCLIENT
 > options       MSDOSFS                 # MSDOS Filesystem
9a19,20
 > options       PROCFS                  # Process filesystem (requires
PSEUDOFS)
 > options       PSEUDOFS                # Pseudo-filesystem framework
11a23,24
 > options       SCSI_DELAY=15000        # Delay (in ms) before probing
SCSI
 > options       KTRACE                  # ktrace(1) support
16a30,38
 > options       AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in
debug
 > options       AHD_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in
debug
 > options       PFIL_HOOKS              # pfil(9) framework
 > options       DDB                     # Enable the kernel debugger
 > options       INVARIANTS              # Enable calls of extra sanity
checking
 > options       INVARIANT_SUPPORT       # Extra sanity checks of
internal structures, required by INVARIANTS
 > options       WITNESS                 # Enable checks to detect
deadlocks and cycles
 > options       WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        # Don't run witness on
spinlocks for speed
 > options       SMP             # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
21a44,45
 > device                pcm
 > device                fdc
25a50,51
 > device                atapifd         # ATAPI floppy drives
 > device                atapist         # ATAPI tape drives
26a53,83
 > device                ahb             # EISA AHA1742 family
 > device                ahc             # AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx
devices
 > device                ahd             # AHA39320/29320 and onboard
AIC79xx devices
 > device                amd             # AMD 53C974 (Tekram DC-390(T))
 > device                isp             # Qlogic family
 > device                mpt             # LSI-Logic MPT-Fusion
 > device                sym             # NCR/Symbios Logic (newer
chipsets + those of `ncr')
 > device                trm             # Tekram DC395U/UW/F DC315U
adapters
 > device                adv             # Advansys SCSI adapters
 > device                adw             # Advansys wide SCSI adapters
 > device                aha             # Adaptec 154x SCSI adapters
 > device                aic             # Adaptec 15[012]x SCSI
adapters, AIC-6[23]60.
 > device                bt              # Buslogic/Mylex MultiMaster
SCSI adapters
 > device                scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
 > device                ch              # SCSI media changers
 > device                da              # Direct Access (disks)
 > device                sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
 > device                cd              # CD
 > device                pass            # Passthrough device (direct
SCSI access)
 > device                ses             # SCSI Environmental Services
(and SAF-TE)
 > device                amr             # AMI MegaRAID
 > device                ciss            # Compaq Smart RAID 5*
 > device                dpt             # DPT Smartcache III, IV - See
NOTES for options
 > device                iir             # Intel Integrated RAID
 > device                ips             # IBM (Adaptec) ServeRAID
 > device                mly             # Mylex AcceleRAID/eXtremeRAID
 > device                aac             # Adaptec FSA RAID
 > device                aacp            # SCSI passthrough for aac
(requires CAM)
 > device                ida             # Compaq Smart RAID
 > device                mlx             # Mylex DAC960 family
 > device                twe             # 3ware ATA RAID
28a86
 > device                psm             # PS/2 mouse
31a90,92
 > device                cbb             # cardbus (yenta) bridge
 > device                pccard          # PC Card (16-bit) bus
 > device                cardbus         # CardBus (32-bit) bus
32a94,102
 > device                ppc
 > device                ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
 > device                lpt             # Printer
 > device                plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
 > device                ppi             # Parallel port interface device
 > device                de              # DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')
 > device                em              # Intel PRO/1000 adapter
Gigabit Ethernet Card
 > device                txp             # 3Com 3cR990 (``Typhoon'')
 > device                vx              # 3Com 3c590, 3c595 (``Vortex'')
33a104
 > device                bfe             # Broadcom BCM440x 10/100
ethernet
34a106,130
 > device                dc              # DEC/Intel 21143 and various
workalikes
 > device                fxp             # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B
(82557, 82558)
 > device                pcn             # AMD Am79C97x PCI 10/100
(precedence over 'lnc')
 > device                re              # RealTek
8139C+/8169/8169S/8110S
 > device                rl              # RealTek 8129/8139
 > device                sf              # Adaptec AIC-6915
(``Starfire'')
 > device                sis             # Silicon Integrated Systems
SiS 900/SiS 7016
 > device                sk              # SysKonnect SK-984x and
SK-982x gigabit ethernet
 > device                ste             # Sundance ST201 (D-Link
DFE-550TX)
 > device                ti              # Alteon Networks Tigon I/II
gigabit ethernet
 > device                tl              # Texas Instruments ThunderLAN
 > device                tx              # SMC EtherPower II (83c170
``EPIC'')
 > device                vr              # VIA Rhine, Rhine II
 > device                wb              # Winbond W89C840F
 > device                xl              # 3Com 3c90x (``Boomerang'',
``Cyclone'')
 > device                cs              # Crystal Semiconductor CS89x0
NIC
 > device                ex              # Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 and
Pro/10+
 > device                ep              # Etherlink III based cards
 > device                fe              # Fujitsu MB8696x based cards
 > device                sn              # SMC's 9000 series of ethernet
chips
 > device                xe              # Xircom pccard ethernet
 > device                wlan            # 802.11 support
 > device                an              # Aironet 4500/4800 802.11
wireless NICs.
 > device                awi             # BayStack 660 and others
 > device                wi              # WaveLAN/Intersil/Symbol
802.11 wireless NICs.
37a134,136
 > device                sl              # Kernel SLIP
 > device                ppp             # Kernel PPP
 > device                tun             # Packet tunnel.
38a138,140
 > device                md              # Memory "disks"
 > device                gif             # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
 > device                faith           # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying
(translation)
39a142
 > device                uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
44a148,159
 > device                ulpt            # Printer
 > device                umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires
scbus and da
 > device                ums             # Mouse
 > device                urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
 > device                uscanner        # Scanners
 > device                aue             # ADMtek USB ethernet
 > device                axe             # ASIX Electronics USB ethernet
 > device                cue             # CATC USB ethernet
 > device                kue             # Kawasaki LSI USB ethernet
 > device                firewire        # FireWire bus code
 > device                sbp             # SCSI over FireWire (Requires
scbus and da)
 > device                fwe             # Ethernet over FireWire
(non-standard!)