AMD64 + Ports

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Sat Feb 21 12:31:04 PST 2004

On Saturday 21 February 2004 12:17 am, Jason Lixfeld wrote:
> Just how many ports "don't" work with AMD64? :)
>
> cvsup doesn't, so I tried the one at
> http://people.freebsd.org/~peter/cvsup-without-gui-16.1h.tbz  It
> installed fine, but when I try to run it against my supfile, I get:
>
> bash-2.05b# cvsup -g -L 2 /usr/local/etc/cvsup/stable-supfile
> Parsing supfile "/usr/local/etc/cvsup/stable-supfile"
> Connecting to cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
> Connected to cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
> Server software version: SNAP_16_1h
> Negotiating file attribute support
> Exchanging collection information
> Establishing multiplexed-mode data connection
> Running
> TreeList failed: Network write failure: Input/output error: zlib
> error 4294967291
> Will retry at 21:29:57
>
> ^C
> bash-2.05b#
>
> Grr..  Ok, so I check the deps and it needs ezm3-1.1.  so I go to
> install that:
>
> bash-2.05b# cd /usr/ports/lang/ezm3/
> bash-2.05b# make
> ===>  ezm3-1.1 is only for alpha i386 sparc64, and you are running
> amd64.
> bash-2.05b#
>
> *gak!*
>
> I give up!
>
> Any suggestions or light reading?! :)

Have a look at http://people.freebsd.org/~peter/ezm3-amd64/
There are a mountain of diffs and hacks to try and get ezm3  to work
with gcc on amd64.  There is enough there to enable you to produce the
same binary in the package you downloaded.  ie: it will blow up with
that zlib error.  Be sure to put the boot-ezm3-1.1-FBSD_AMD64.tar.bs2
into your /usr/ports/distfiles/ezm3/ directory because its not in
John's dist area that the port knows about.

As has been mentioned, don't use compress.  I know this is a PITA, but I
haven't figured out a way around it.  The error code is 0xffffffffb
which is -5.  For zlib, that translates to 'buffer error'.  In other
words, the callback hooks for zlib in cvsup are not working right.  I'd
welcome you to try and fix them. :-)
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com