shaky support or my system?

James Van Artsdalen james at jrv.org
Thu Feb 5 08:30:43 PST 2004

> Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 07:45:51 -0600
> From: Bob Willcox <bob at immure.com>
>
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 03:30:11PM -0600, James Van Artsdalen wrote:
> > Unfortunately it appears my case was a false alarm.
> > My Tyan K8W S2885 is not stable unless ECC is turned off in ROM setup.
>
> Could you guys post what kind of memory (brand and part no. if possible)
> you are using?

I'm using 8x Crucial part #CT12872Y335 with Opteron 2x 244.

There's no way to tell if this is a problem with the RAM or not.
My gut suspicion is a BIOS bug, but it could well be the motherboard.
There's really no evidence it's problem with the DIMMs.

(the system is not reporting a memory error.  It's incredibly unlikely
any sort of problem in the DDIM would fail to show up at some point as
an ECC error, and ECC errors are not being reported by the system.
The symptom is that FreeBSD gets the wrong data back from a read and
no ECC error)