AW: FreeBSD 5.3; howto migrate from i386 to amd64 mode

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Sun Dec 19 01:55:16 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 12:30:30PM -0600, Chris Dillon wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Peter Wemm wrote:
> >The difficulty is working around the catch-22 situation where you
> >need a new kernel first so you can install world, and you need a new
> >world first before you can boot the new kernel.  Cheating and using
> >the swap partition for a temporary world is one way around it.  It
> >might even be necessary to do a new buildworld inside the temporary
> >world if you can't reinstall the previous one.  Some creativity will
> >be needed.
>
> Isn't this where /usr/src/installworld_oldk could come in handy?
> Apparently there was a similar chicken & egg problem updating
> FreeBSD/sparc64 to 64BTT but installworld_oldk claims it can be used
> for any situation where you need to install a majorly incompatible
> old-kernel/new-world.

This moving an installed 32-bit system to 64-bit has so much potential
for food shooting, that I don't think we should come close to making it
easy.  There is reason that no other Unix supports such a thing on AMD64.
People should back up their data and do a fresh install.  Those that are
true hard-core tinkers, a recipe has been posted.  If they don't
understand the steps and can't follow them; they probably shouldn't be
trying this approach.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)