AW: FreeBSD 5.3; howto migrate from i386 to amd64 mode

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Thu Dec 16 14:03:47 PST 2004

On Thursday 16 December 2004 12:41 am, Meyendriesch, Burkard wrote:
[..]
> Peter,
>
> thanks a lot for your detailed instructions! I'll try thi procedure
> in my holydays after Christmas. Afterwards I'll give you a feedback.
>
> Burkard

Keep in mind that this procedure has serious foot-shooting potential.  I
would not recommend people try this unless the only alternative is a
reinstall.  If something goes wrong and you can't figure it out, you
may have to do the reinstall anyway.

I just wanted to reiterate that to make sure that everybody understands
the situation...

The difficulty is working around the catch-22 situation where you need a
new kernel first so you can install world, and you need a new world
first before you can boot the new kernel.  Cheating and using the swap
partition for a temporary world is one way around it.   It might even
be necessary to do a new buildworld inside the temporary world if you
can't reinstall the previous one.  Some creativity will be needed.
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com