32 bit compatability

Ken Lowther klowther at cisnet.com
Wed Dec 8 15:37:04 PST 2004

I have been reading the archives on this issue and am getting some info
bit by bit.

I am running 5.3 Release amd64

I have edited /etc/make.conf  and added:
WITH_LIB32=YES

I have edited my version of MYKERNEL to  include :
options         SMP
options         QUOTA
options         COMPAT_IA32             # Compatible with i386 binaries
(last one in by default)

Did make depend, make, and make insall.

Rebooted.  Kernel looks like it installed because quotas now work:

hostserv1# quota -v
Disk quotas for user root (uid 0):
     Filesystem   usage   quota   limit   grace   files   quota
limit   grace
          /home  130108       0       0            3660       0       0
          /usr    1054978       0       0           67161       0       0
          /var           6580       0       0            1031
0       0

I gather this means the kernel suports the 32 bit compat mode from the
posts I have seen so far:

hostserv1# sysctl kern.elf32
kern.elf32.fallback_brand: -1
hostserv1#

After this I seem to be lost.  I have seen references to various things,
but bottom line, where do I go from here.  The script under tools is
obsolete now?  install32.sh?  I get the impression that this stuff was
supposed to compile with the kernel but Google doesn't help me find any
one place that is a step by step walk through.

Thanks
Ken