network card

Ernst W. Winter ewinter at ewinter.org
Mon Dec 6 07:56:45 PST 2004

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004, Adriaan de Groot wrote:

> On Monday 06 December 2004 15:23, Ernst W. Winter wrote:
> > Well I would like to ask "what ntwork card" is working with amd64
> > FreeBSD, that is without any hassles. I try the sk one and it still has
> > the problem of putting out the same message:
> >
> > sk0 discard frame w/o leading ethernet header (len 10 pkt len 10)
> >
> > it is a ASUS A8V Deluxe board with the lan omboard.
> > 5.3_STABLE is the version I'm running.
>
> 5-CURRENT has had patches applied by Bjoern (or others? In any case, mentioned
> often and recently on this list) for sk0; that works normally for me on a
> K8V.
>
> > Any sugestions what card would work with this MB and amd64?
>
> 3c905 (xl)? rtl8139 (rl)? I ran my K8V with xl0 and rl0 for months until the
> sk issues were resolved. It depends, of course, on what you want to do with
> the machine -- perhaps a cheap-ass $5 rl card isn't what you want.

Thanks, I came to the same conclusion as I have the same machine at home
and since I just wanted to wait, until the problem is fixed I use a
(xl?) as well and it works fine without problem. Just recompiled the
kernel with a (rl?) and see what happen as I think it will run fine.

The machine wouldn't use any Gigabyte line and so it is mute to have the
card. Probably by the time it is ready I will use it, but it is a
production machine and so need to be stable.

eww

--
Ernst W. Winter
Basis Systeme netzwerk		phone: +49 89 692 8120