AMD64- Solutions

Jimmy freebsd at oranged.to
Thu Dec 2 00:46:52 PST 2004

Hello,

I am currently investigating implementing a solution based around
FreeBSD. I have some questions that relate specifically to the AMD-64
port of FreeBSD that I was hoping could be answered easily.

I am interested to know how well the FreeBSD 5.3+ system handles the AMD
64 processors in a dual proc configuration. The project that we are
working on currently requires large amounts of RAM (16gb). Because of
this we are looking down the AMD road using a dual opteron configuration.

Is this something that we should look at or should we investigate single
processor configurations and distribute the load more evenly between
more lower end systems?

So in the end my questions are :

a) how reliable is the AMD 64 port of FreeBSD
b) how good is the multiprocessing AMD 64?
c) any advice would be seriously great to have.

Thanks in advance

James