Radeon 9250 (was Re: Matrox G550)

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 1 12:21:10 PST 2004

Seen on the list digest:

> Luckily returning my card was fairly painless.  Now I just have to wait
> a couple days to receive my ATI Radeon 9250.  It ships out tomorrow, so
> if there's any last words of advice/general info... please speak
> now!  :)

My new AMD64 system is also equipped with a Radeon 9250 (sold under the
Saphire brand). The 2D driver for Xorg works fine, the 5.3-RELEASE AGP
and radeondrm drivers load OK, but running an OpenGL program fails with
an error in radeon_cp_cmdbuf (from syslog):

error: [drm:pid564:radeon_cp_cmdbuf] *ERROR* bad cmd_type 0 at 0x560008

I've been looking at the source, and IMHO (not a kernel guru) it might
be a 64 bit issue. The radeon_cp_cmdbuf function contains a switch
statement that evaluates an integer argument copied from user space via
fuword(9), which returns a long value. Since long is 64 bits, and int is
32 bits on AMD64 this might cause trouble?

For completeness, my system has an MSI Neo FSR motherboard with a
KT8T800 chipset.

Roland
--
R.F. Smith                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
r s m i t h @ x s 4 a l l . n l      \ /    No HTML/RTF in email