Issues with dual Opteron

Jack Twilley jmt at twilley.org
Mon Aug 16 09:32:38 PDT 2004

>>>>> "Erich" == Erich Dollansky <oceanare at pacific.net.sg> writes:

Jack> It can run indefinitely under no load.  Twenty minutes tops of
Jack> actually doing anything (like "make buildworld") and poof!  The
Jack> silent hang shows up nowhere in the logs.

Erich> I have had problems like this when memory modules or the CPU
Erich> have had contact problems.

Erich> Just removing them and putting them back has helped in some
Erich> cases. I needed new memory modules in the other cases.

Erich> I think it was just luck not to access the brocken module.

Erich> Can you test your machine with different modules or just take
Erich> some modules out?

At the time it runs indefinitely under no load, it's running with one
memory module per CPU.  The memory modules test out fine under Windows
and Linux using a burn-in program under each operating system, so I'm
satisfied that the RAM is good.

Erich> Erich

Jack.
--