FYI, I've switched my primary desktop to AMD64.

Adriaan de Groot adridg at cs.kun.nl
Wed Oct 22 01:15:33 PDT 2003

> Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> > On Friday 17 October 2003 19:17, Peter Wemm wrote:
> > > I finally worked up the nerve to commit to eating my own dogfood.  :-)
>
> a seperate drive, I can use boot0 to temporarily boot the old drive
> and do things like buildworld and get ktraces of identical binaries
> in action on a 32 bit system etc.

Will a regular old 32-bit install of FBSD even boot? I have loads of drives
kicking around with 4-STABLE installs of varying antiquity that would help
get me started a lot faster.

> > My intention - KDE-FreeBSD core team - is to get KDE in its entirety
> > working as well on amd64 as on x86.
>
> I ran into trouble with kde3base - it wants to link something like
> libxkbfile.a into a shared library.  This is fatal on amd64, but it
> seems you can get away with it on i386.

Well then that's one of the things I'll just have to fix, then. I've also been
struggling with things like #define unsigned int __u32; (a Linuxism) --
what's the default int size on FBSD-amd64? (I realize I could assemble the
system, boot the 5.1 snapshot from David, and find out for myself, but that
may take quite some time).

> Marvel bought syskonnect.  This is a 3com rebadged version.  Note that
> 5.1-R does not recognize this chip so if you boot from the 5.1 release cd,
> you'll have to get the updated driver by other means.  (I used one of the
> many fxp cards I had laying on my desk).

You high-end guys crack me up. I think I have a spare RTL8029 here .. I'll
just have to see what David's snapshot build does (besides panic under load,
as described here earlier) and wait for the next build.

[ade] (The _other_ one)